Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Published by Washington Square Press, Pocket Books--1992
Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington D. C.,
Julius Caesar may have been written for production in the new Globe theater 1599. During this time period, late 1500's to early 1600's, people were interested in the story of Caesar's murder. The people debated as to what truly happened, who the murderer of Caesar really was, and if in fact the so called murderer was really heroic in nature.


Link for the book @ publisher:
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Julius-Caesar/William-Shakespeare/Folger-Shakespeare-Library/9781439196717
Paperback $9.99

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Julius-Caesar-Folger-Shakespeare-Library/dp/0743484932/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296060561&sr=1-1
Paperback $6.49

For your Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/JULIUS-CAESAR-ebook/dp/B004JF4MK6/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1296060682&sr=1-19
$1.99
There are also several to choose from that are less than a dollar.

You can find a free copy for your eReader through www.globusz.com, or
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

When I write a review on a book such as Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare I feel intimated. After all, who am I to give a review on Shakespeare? I do not hold a PHD in literature, nor have I poured over studying Shakespeare for years. 
I'm just Annette, middle age woman, known as Nana to my grandkids; but I am a powerhouse reader, and I just can't help myself I love Shakespeare.
I've read in years past Hamlet, Macbeth, and Love's Labour's Lost. By far Macbeth is my favorite. I love the dark spiney wretched story.
I'm hoping to read Romeo and Juliet this year. I probably was "supposed" to read it back in high school; but I was preoccupied with my own Romeo's at the time.

The synopsis of Julius Caesar is that it is a tragedy, a play, it was performed in the Globe theater in 1599. It was first printed in 1623 in a collection of plays entitled First Folio. Although Julius Caesar is written for us in book form, it it really best if the reader reads it aloud. There is a huge difference when you read it aloud as opposed to silently reading it (ho-hum) to yourself. The play comes to life with vibrancy when you read it aloud!
Julius Caesar was murdered by a group men that conspired against him, because they felt he was moving his position in to a monarchy as opposed to a republic. Marcus Brutus was Julius' close friend, yet he turned against Julius by taking part in his death. The question has been whether these men committed cold blooded murder, or were they justified if even a little in their belief that monarchy was in Julius Caesar's plans.
Mark Anthony escapes death, yet he uses this opportunity for his advantage.
This is a play of political intrigue, power, conspiracy, psychological mystique, justification, loyalty, and passion---in murder.
I loved this play, loved it!

Some of my favorite quotes:
"Farewell to you and you and you."
"I dreampt tonight that I did feast with Caesar."
"Lend me your ears....the evil that men do lives after them."
"Men at sometime are masters of their fates, the fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."
"Beware the ides of March."




Blissful Reading!
Annette

4 comments:

  1. A paraphrase of "Men at sometime are masters of their fates, the fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings." was used in a recent political speech...matter of fact. Shakespeare is still inspiring us.

    Great review. this is not my favorite play, but it is a good one...have you read Othello? or Titus Andronicus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shakespeare. I'm a Bard Buff for sure. :)I also teach English so I've read and analyzed JC umpteen times. Having said that, I still love it. "Speak hands, for me!" is one of my fav lines. I once got my own kids and their friends to act out the murder scene as part of a school project. A good friend of mine saw a Broadway version a few years ago where Denzel Washington played the part of Brutus. (I was so jealous!) It was set in a modern 'war zone'. Nuff said, cause I'm rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I've only read Hamlet, Macbeth, Love's Labour's Lost, Julius Caesar, and a few of his sonnets.
    I hope to read Romeo and Juliet soon.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Do you like Chaucer? I'm crazy about him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy it's on my bucket list to see a performance of one of Shakespeare's plays! Thanks for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete