- Review Policy and Contact Information
- Spotlight On Those I Review For
- Spotlight on Blogs and Websites
- Fiction Read in 2013
- Non-Fiction Read in 2013
- Children and Young Adult Books Read 2013
- The Classics Club---Goal of 50 in 5 Years
- War Through The Generations Challenge
- Back To Classics Challenge 2013
- Dive Into Poetry Challenge 2013
- Chunkster Reading Challenge 2013
- Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2013
- European Reading Challenge 2013
- The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge 2013
- The Tudor Book Blog Reading Challenge 2013
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Book Review: An Impartial Witness, A Bess Crawford Mystery by Charles Todd
Although I liked this book, I did not enjoy it as well as A Duty to the Dead or A Bitter Truth.
I have also decided I like the inspector Ian Rutledge books a bit better. His character is more driven, enticing, and a bit quirky (I like quirkiness.)
Why did I not enjoy this book as well as the others? From the first page of the story it did not sweep me away. The pace or order of events, or maybe the characters just dragged.
I love books with the environment of England. The rainy dreary summer weather in England is a break from the hot dry days of summertime in Texas.
There was more dialogue and character presence in France in this book. The expectation of bombing or enemy troop advancement, was talked about by Bess and the other nursing sisters. Their living conditions in tents were described. When the bombs fell nearby various objects in their room fell, or was destroyed. The nervous tension of the nursing sisters is presented by them as stoic, yet I know they must have been reeling with the chaotic and stressful duty of being on the frontline of war.
Published by William Morrow An Imprint of Harper Collins 2010
Historical Mystery Fiction/ Mystery/ World War I/ War Through The Generations Challenge
Link for book @ publisher:
Link @ Amazon:
Hardcover Bargain Price $10.00
Other Bess Crawford Mystery books by Charles Todd----links will take you to my review of book:
A Duty to the Dead published 2009
An Impartial Witness published 2010
A Bitter Truth published 2011
An Unmarked Grave published 2012
Charles Todd Website: