Monday, December 23, 2013

[Review] The Kings and Queens of Scotland by Timothy Venning

Title: The Kings and Queens of Scotland
Author: Timothy Venning
Publisher: Amberley August 2013
Genre: Non-fiction
Theme: Kings and Queens of Scotland, history of Scotland.
Format: Paperback
Age: Adult
Pages: 304, 27 color illustrations
Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Free copy from Amberley for the purpose of review.

Summary:
Beginning with the first recorded history of the Picts in AD 300, through the kings of Dal Riada and Strathclyde, the Viking invasion and settlements, the real history of Macbeth, Sir William Wallace, Robert Bruce, the Black Douglas and Douglas Clan, Mary Queen of Scots, James Stuart, Charles I and Charles II, the English Civil War, Oliver Cromwell, and the ending of the Stuart lineage on the throne.
The Kings and Queens of Scotland, is a fascinating study of Scotland's history with emphasis on its royal families.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Morton_Castle_-_Landscape.jpg
Thoughts:
This has been a great year of British history reading. Thanks to Amberley for the ability to read voraciously and joyously this genre! 

I love Scottish history. The desire stems from an interest in British history, but also because I am Scottish in ancestry. I'm related to Clan Duncan and Clan Ross lineage. At some point, maybe in 2014, I'll do DNA testing.
Even though The Kings and Queens of Scotland moves along at a fast pace I kept up. The amount of historical research throughout the centuries that the author covered is impressive. Most authors I've found focus on a particular time period, for example the Tudor period, or a more vast-the Middle Ages; Venning covers centuries of Scottish history.
The Kings and Queens of Scotland, is a brief but solid study. I feel knowledgeable about Scotland's ancient history.
The few pages on Macbeth is one of the highlights of the book, as well as information on the Picts, kings of Dal Riada, and the Black Douglas. In most of the Scottish history books I've read the main characters have been Mary Queen of Scots or her son James. Until now I'd not read of Scottish kings from the Dark Ages.
If you are looking for a book that gives a well-rounded study of Scottish history, I believe this is an excellent choice.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! This one sounds great! I wish my library had more titles on Scotland, I really do!

    ReplyDelete