"Facing Learning Disabilities In The Adult Years"

"Facing Learning Disabilities In The Adult Years" by Joan Shapiro and Rebecca Rich
Oxford University Press, Published 1999, 216 pages











The newest addition of this book can be found at the following link:
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Medicine/Neuropsychology/?view=usa&ci=9780195371789#reviews

For more information on learning disabilities see:
Learning Disabilities Association of America

This book was borrowed from the library for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

"Three to ten percent of adults in the United States have a learning disability, at least 80% of those have problems with reading and writing. A learning disability is caused by a specific dysfunction with in the central nervous system." Learning disabilities can affect reading and writing, attention span, math, focusing on tasks, it can limit abilities in social settings. Both the male and female population are affected in equal numbers. There is a strong chance that learning disabilities can be passed down through the generations.
I felt this was an informative book, one that I wished I'd read years ago when my oldest son was diagnosed with a learning disability. My husband and the father of our two sons also has a learning disability. One of my brothers and one of my sisters has a learning disability. In my husbands family almost all of the males have a learning disability, none of the females are affected.
When my son was diagnosed I read the literature that the school system gave me and I attended meetings at the school. I had never read any other books on this subject, I wish I had.
This book gives reasons for, statistics, definitions, stories from people that live with learning disabilities, help for the individual that needs techniques and strategies for everyday life, it also looks into the laws that people with disabilities need to be aware of.
I found this book to be a great help and most importantly it is applicable.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are a very caring and charitable person and this is very vaulable infomation to be sharing.

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learning disabilities myself, so while I knew most of the stats still found it very informative and is an important subject to get out there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment