Review-How To Read A Book

How To Read A Book, The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren
A Touchstone Book
Published by Simon and Schuster 1940, 426 pages

This book was borrowed from the library for the purpose of reading/reviewing

http://books.simonandschuster.com/How-to-Read-a-Book/Mortimer-J-Adler/9780671212094

What kind of reader are you?
Do you speed read through a book? or do you read every morsel of word? Maybe you read and take notes as I do?
I believe that if you are a voracious reader--meaning you are an avid reader of books, then as you age your reading habits and tastes evolve.
I had heard of the book How To Read A Book, but put it off--- because, well.....I know how to read....and what more do I need to know?
Rather arrogant of me.


The book How To Read A Book teaches you the levels of reading:
elementary reading, inspectional reading, analytical reading, syn-topical reading. Each of these levels are looked at in more depth and application.
Good and basic questions are given for the reader to think about while reading a book such as: What is the book about as a whole?
The books expands over the genres of books such as plays, tragedies, history, biographies, current events, and several more genres. There are individual questions to ask when you read these various topics in reading.

I feel this book should be considered MUST reading in at least high school level and or college----Composition I. 
Reading can become mundane, lethargic, like brushing your teeth. You think as a reader of so many years that you know how to read; but even the longest of habits and daily interests need to be perked up, enlivened, and enriched. 

One of my favorite quotes:
"A story is like life itself; in life, we do not expect to understand events as they occur, at least with total clarity, but looking back on them , we do understand.

Blissful Reading!
Annette


On February 12-- Max Weismann left me a comment informing me of instructional videos from Britannica that were available for viewing, follow the link to learn more.
http://www.thegreatideas.org/HowToReadABook.htm
 
Thank you Mr. Weismann for visiting my little blog!

Comments