The Lost, A Search For Six Of Six Million by Daniel Mendelsohn

Amazon link for the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Search-Six-Million/dp/0060542993/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Harper Collins link for the book:
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/The-Lost-Daniel-Mendelsohn/?isbn=9780060542993

Harper Collins Publishers 2007-- Paperback--528 pages, Holocaust, Memoir, World War II, Jewish History

http://www.bolechow.org/

Daniel Mendelsohn 

This book was purchased by me for the purpose of reading/reviewing. 

If you have been following along on my blog you have noticed I've read several books on the Holocaust and on World War II. I have one more book to read on the Holocaust and one more book on World War II.....at least in my to be read pile at this time. I have promised to read an e book sent to me from the author Charles S. Weinblatt entitled Jacob's Courage. I purchased the paperback book Tears In The Darkness, The Story of the Bataan Death March and its Aftermath by Michael Norman and Elizabeth M. Norman. At this point my heart is rather tender and I'm winding down in this genre, my tears are flowing a bit too often.
In the book the author Daniel Mendelsohn quotes another by stating, "There are tears in things."

I gravitate toward books about families, especially a book about a family that has an arresting saga, that makes me want to pull up my chair and lean in a little closer so that the author can speak candidly and intimately.
The author Daniel Mendelsohn has written such a story in his book The Lost, A Search For Six Of Six Million. Most of Daniel's Jewish family had immigrated to America from eastern Europe before World War II. At a young age Daniel began what would become a lifetime search for the six family members that were "lost, perished" during the Holocaust. Daniel only knew what little information that his family had "heard". As he grew older his search became more pronounced in reading and studying, interviewing in person and by phone, visiting research sites, and eventually he would make several plane trips criss-crossing the ocean. His travels were often accompanied with his siblings. Daniel made recordings of his interviews with those that survived the Holocaust, and then he compared their memories. The reader is given the full scope of what transpired during the Holocaust in the area's of Ukraine and Poland, especially in the small town of Bolechow. As Daniel pieces together the story of these six family members the reader begins to understand that this is more than a search to quench the mysterious endings for the six that perished; but this is an undaunted search for the individuals that they were, these six humans who perished: that had personalities, quirks, dreams, fears, and passions. 
At times Daniel rambles in his writing, such as many of us do when we tell a story. Yet, his narrative is personable, kind, tender, insightful, he freely shares his feelings.
At times I felt like a fly on the wall, I felt uncomfortable almost uninvited; yet I too wanted to know their stories, these graphic stories that often took my breathe away. 
I was immersed with this book, I could not put the book down until the last page was read.
I found one misspelled word on page 176, retaind (retained).

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

  1. I have a copy of this book somewhere, and you've made me want to dig it out and read it.

    I've linked to your review on War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment