Sunday Salon

Last week was eventful with tropical storm Hermine (Internet and electricity outages, flooding), a sick husband, our grandson to the ER with stomach pain (a virus), dad with a blister on the his right heel (he is a diabetic), and various doctor appointments for my dad.
On this sunny but humid morning I am washing laundry, reading the newspaper, and baking banana chocolate chip bread. I'm hoping it will be an enjoyable day.
Last week I finished 3 books and have posted on 2 of them: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen on this blog, Valeria's Cross by Kathi Macias and Susan Wales: link for review
http://awell-wateredgarden.blogspot.com/2010/09/valerias-cross-by-kathie-macias-and.html
I finished reading Solitary by Travis Thrasher and will be posting the review soon on my blog @
A Garden of Books. This book I am so excited about, a phenomenal read. I stayed up till late at night to finish reading it. It is suspenseful, scary, mysterious, love story, a little comical (the main character has a sense of humor, sarcastic). The book has everything! It was written for young adults; but is a novel worthy of any adult reader.
I have started reading How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn. On my Kindle I'm reading My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. I've had How Green Was My Valley on my shelf for several years, wanting to read it, yet I kept getting side-tracked by other books. So far I love it! My Name is Mary Sutter is about a mid-wife during the Civil War that wants to become a doctor desperately. She is a protagonist that I'm happy to say is not a beauty. Have you noticed that most of the time the lead female character is beautiful, or has a great figure, etc, etc, ad nauseam. It is nice to read of a character that instead is realistic to what most of us are, not a beauty pageant winner, just an average enough looking gal with a dream.

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments