Book Review: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender



@Publisher the hardback is $25.95

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Particular-Sadness-Lemon-Cake-Novel/dp/0385501129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288886300&sr=8-1
Hardback $17.13
Kindle $9.99

Published June 1, 2010--304 pages--Fiction/Coming of Age Story/Food

My sister passed this book on to me for reading/reviewing. 

Rose Edelstein on the evening before her 9th birthday begins an unusual lifelong gift of tasting through food other peoples emotions. Her mother is the hub of the family, the one with the penchant for cooking, the happy and approachable parent. Rose's father is a reserved quiet man. Older brother Joseph loves astronomy.
The book follows the story of Rose from age 9 through her young adult years. In some ways it is a coming of age story in that we are given glimpses of Rose's school life, her friends, and feelings of growing up. Rose's gift gives her insight into her family's secrets and this puts her on edge as to how to handle certain things that she "knows."
I liked the creative plot of the story, this gift that Rose has is intriguing and I wanted to know where the story
would go and that kept me reading till the end. It is a quick read, I read it in the car on the way to Colorado.
The book did not move me, nor would I have purchased it, my sister passed the book on to me.
Rose is the only character that I found of interest, at least until Joseph's character began to become more interesting (I do wish we'd been given a little more story on him).

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments