Sunday Salon





How are you on this first Sunday in November? Have you planned your Thanksgiving Day menu? Maybe you are traveling to another home for the holiday meal?
I will be cooking and baking the entire traditional Thanksgiving Day meal by myself, there will be 4 of us eating. I look forward to this big day! The hardest part is making sure everything is warm and ready to serve at the same time. I will start baking pies and 2 pans of cornbread (needed for southern style dressing) the day before Thanksgiving. During all of the preparing and cooking and baking, I often think of my mother. Mother died of end stage Alzheimer's in early 2008, the last Thanksgiving Day meal she was able to cook was in 1993. Interesting what memories we have that are associated with food, especially during the holidays.
What foods do you eat or bake during the holidays that are extra special because of the special memory that they hold?

I have been playing catch up with Christian fiction and non-fiction books. I am making a big dent in my to be read stack. Some of these books have been in the stack for a few years. I am determined to either read and review them, or donate them.

The books that I'm reading for this blog are:
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
and
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
My copy of Cranford was purchased at an estate sale, the copyright on this edition is 1916--and in excellent condition!

Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments

  1. Hope you enjoy Cranford--it's a wonderful book by a wonderful author. Reading a 1916 edition makes it even more special.

    My condolences on the loss of your mother. My mother-in-law died in 2008 as well, and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1996. It is truly a devastating disease. We make her onions in cheese sauce for Thanksgiving every year, although we never have this dish any other time of the year.

    Good luck with your Thanksgiving plans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane. At times I miss my mother so much! I miss her all the time, but there are those moments that are more profound.
    I will be posting food memories during the holidays and even sharing some recipes so stay tuned.
    I love old books, especially school books!
    Visit again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment