E-Book Review: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare



Kindle edition @Amazon is .89 cents:
http://www.amazon.com/William-Shakespeare-Romeo-Juliet-ebook/dp/B002I61F8U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1297969528&sr=1-2
There are free Kindle downloads available as well.

2553 words

Way back in high school as a class we read Romeo and Juliet, but I did not, back then I was the gal sitting way in the back of the class in the corner---I woke up in college.
Romeo and Juliet is not a favorite of mine from Shakespeare, my favorite is Macbeth.
Besides Macbeth I've read Hamlet, Love's Labour's Lost, and Julius Caesar. I have Othello sitting in my to be read pile.

The story is of 2 young people that fall quickly and passionately in love with each other. Their names are Juliet Capulet and Romeo Montague. The houses of Capulet and Montague are at enmity towards each other.
Juliet's parents wish her to marry another boy, Paris. Juliet is crushed, she takes a risky venture by pretending to die, but then when Romeo finds her he drinks a poison in order to be with her in death, in waking up from her "sleep", Juliet takes Romeo's dagger and stabs herself, falling on top of Romeo's body in death.
Most of us know the story of Romeo and Juliet, even if you've never read the story---you know the basics of it.

What I did not know until I read the story is that it is Juliet that has the best lines, the best voice in the story. She also is the character that is the valiant one. Romeo take poison, yet Juliet with his dagger stabs herself in her abdomen. Juliet is the one with the plan, where Romeo is the one that seems to sulk.
Even some of the other characters such as Friar Laurence and Juliet's Nurse are light weights, superfluous. Both of these characters give bad advice to the lover's.

Act 2 Scene 2 has some of the most famous lines:
"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!....See how she leans her cheek upon her hand! That I were a glove upon that hand, That I might touch that cheek!" Romeo

I felt that there was definitely sensuousness in some of the words that were used, which would make sense since this is a love story not just a tragedy.
Some examples are: "a lover may bestride gossamer that idles in the wanton summer air, And yet not fall; so light is vanity."
and
"To blazon it, then sweet with thy breath."

My favorite quote would come from Juliet's voice,
"My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep, the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite."

Balcony at Giulietta's house in Verona, Italy.




Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments