Preview to Pioneer Women

When I was a girl I was fascinated by the stories my grandmother's told me. Stories of drawing water from a well for daily use, wearing a bonnet, layers of petticoats under long dresses, riding in a wagon and not a car, cooking and baking in a wood stove, going to bed shortly after dark and waking up before dawn, house dances, courting, picking cotton, and the endearing way my maternal grandmother called her daddy "papa". My grandmother's were both born in the early 1900's. My maternal grandmother's mother died when my grandmother was 4 years old. It was her oldest sister Bertha that took over as "mother and homemaker".
My paternal grandmother was 1 of 14 children. Her paternal grandfather fought in the Civil War and relocated to Texas after that war. I love history and I love stories. I especially love stories and history of women. Women that against the odds of their environment, or family circumstances, or education, or the age in which they were born, they became strong women, women of not necessarily outward beauty, but beauty that comes from an inner fire of stamina and strength and determination.
In the 2 books that I will be reviewing this week--Pioneer Women, The Lives of Women on the Frontier and Covered Wagon Women, Diaries and Letters From The Western Trails, 1850--these books are true stories of women that lived. I was amazed at the endurance and fortitude they had. I was amazed at their adventurous spirit. The books are taken from diaries, journals, tape recordings, and interviews of women that lived and took part in the westward expansion to the west.

Interesting article about young children on the pioneer trail.
http://www.americanheritage.com/content/youngest-pioneers


Blissful Blogging!
Annette

Comments