The Classics Club Reading Challenge

http://jillianreadsbooks2.wordpress.com/join-the-classics-club/#samplecomment 
The Classics Club is a 5 year project. A serious classics reading list of at least 50 books to be read over a period of 5 years.
The full description and list of rules is at the above link under photograph.
Beginning on this date June 10, 2012 my project begins and will end on June 10, 2017.
First is my list of classics reading for this year, then followed by my additional list to carry over in to the next 4 years.
This is a living list and maybe revised by me over the 5 year period.
Some of these books are re-reads for me as I've read all of the Bronte sisters books in the past.
The books I'm most looking forward to reading are: Ivanhoe, Les Miserables, The Woman In White, The Mills on the Floss, Tess of the D'ubervilles, Wives and Daughters, Nicholas Nickelby, The Count of Monte Cristo, Paradise Lost, Rob Roy, The Odyssey, East of Eden, The Grapes of Wrath, The Tempest.
All the books on the below lists are currently on my bookshelf and are owned by me.

2012
1. Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell---currently reading.
2. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
3. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
4. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
5. The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins
6. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
7. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
8. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 

2013-2017
11. Othello by William Shakespeare
12. The Mill on the Floss by Thomas Hardy
13. The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
14. Daisy Miller and Other Stories by Henry James
15. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
16. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
17. The Trumpet Major by Thomas Hardy
18. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
19. The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
20. Tess of the D'ubervilles by thomas Hardy
21. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
22. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
23. Miss Mackenzie by Anthony Trollope
24. My Cousin Henry by Anthony Trollope
25. The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope
26. Evelina by Fanny Burney
27. The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith
28. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
29. Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell
30. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
31. Nickolas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
32. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
33. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
34. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
35. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
36. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
37. Paradise Lost by Milton
38. Rob Roy by Robert Burns
39. Selected Poems by Robert Burns
40. The Odyssey by Homer
41. Watership Down by Richard Adams
42. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
43. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
44. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
45. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
46. Shadows On The Rock by Willa Cather
47. Chekhov 7 Short Novels by Anton Chekhov
48. The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell
49. The Tempest by William Shakespeare
50. The Winters Tale by William Shakespeare

The prize I will reward myself with when completing these books is The Complete Works of William Shakepeare.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-William-Shakespeare-Leather-Classic/dp/0760703329/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339340980&sr=1-3

Comments

  1. What a lovely prize! I'm excited to see you're re-reading some classics, and of course, I love your rich list. Cheers, and welcome to the club, Annette! - jill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good prize to award yourself. I like the complete volumes that are available. I've bought two volumes of H.G Wells to read and they are wonderful books.

    You've a good list there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill and Debbie for visiting and leaving comments!
    I have wanted for a long time Shakespeare's complete works in one volume, this selection looks lovely.
    I've never read any of H.G. Wells books. What books have you read of his?
    Please visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished re-reading The Time Machine and have read War of the worlds in the past. I've got six of his books on my 50 book list to read.

      Delete
  4. You know how to give yourself a good incentive! The complete works of WS of perfect for such a prize.

    You've got a lot of chunksters on your 2012 list--I also want to read the Victor Hugo novels you listed.

    Enjoy Ruth--it's one of my favorites.

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! It looks like we'll both be reading Ruth and Jane Eyre this year. I found your blog via the Classics Club Challenge. I like your blog's emphases, especially British lit and military history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a daunting list of books. I think you deserve something a little more grand than simply the complete works of William Shakespeare. Perhaps a trip to Stratford Uopn Avon as well? Good luck. I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jane GS, Ryan and Hope in Brazil for stopping by and commenting.
    Hope In Brazil, I love Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Both books I'm waiting until the fall of the year to read, good books to read when there is a chill in the air.
    Ryan, I love England, have been twice and have still not seen the British Museum. Would love to spend at least a day there. I also have a dream to see the Yorkshire Moors! Maybe again someday......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography