Reading Habits

I came across this meme through Novembers Autumn, which led me to I Read That Once, which then led me to A Room of One's Own. Each of them participated in the question and answer about reading habits.

"Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?"
I don't snack, but I do eat meals while I read, if I can balance the plate on my lap and hold onto the book at the same time!

"What is your favorite drink while reading?"
I drink 2 cups of coffee in the early morning, followed by water the rest of the day. Sometimes I will drink a cup of tea in the afternoon about 4. This time of the year because it is so hot (102 today) I will have a glass of iced tea with lime slices about 4 PM.

"Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify?"
I do not mark in my books because many of them I give away to the library as a donation. It does not horrify me to mark in them, but the library would not want them marked up.

"How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying book flat open?"
I use a book mark, a big stack of book marks sit beside me while I read (actually I collect them.)
I don't dog-ear, it's a pet-peeve of mine.

"Fiction, non-fiction, or both?"
Both, but I've tended to gravitate towards non-fiction. I love biographies and historical books----which is non-fiction. I am on a classic literature binge right now, I love British Literature---which is fiction.

"Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?"
What helps me, especially in a lengthy book, is to read at least 100 pages a day. I will use tiny post-it sticky notes to mark every 100 pages throughout the book. This keeps me organized, a goal to meet, and feeling as if I've advanced in reading the book. Sometimes if after getting to the 100th page for the days reading I maybe reading an important scene, so I'll continue reading till there is a good stopping point.

"Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?"
Neither. Although I've been known to talk aloud of my disgust. The dog and cat both perk up because before there had been silence and then for me to talk it startles them! At least I have an audience.

"If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?"
Sometimes, all though more often I'll write the word down and look it up later.

"What are you currently reading?"
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, The Woman in White by Elizabeth Gaskell, Divergent by Veronica Roth, After You Believe Why Christian Character Matters by N. T. Wright, and today I'll start reading another Charles Todd mystery book---The Confession.

"What is the last book you bought?"
Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth

"Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?"
I must juggle at least a few at one time. One is just not enough!

"Do you have a favorite time and place to read?"
I have a reading room which is the formal living room in my house. I have a rocker/recliner style chair and next to it is a large 2 tier round table with 2 lamps. I read off and on ALL day. I have daily chores to do as I'm a homemaker and caregiver to my 89 year old dad that lives with us. I will do a few chores and then back to reading.

"Do you prefer series books or stand alone?"
It does not matter. What I do not like is for an only book to end loosely. I want closure of some kind.

"Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?"
I love Charles Dickens, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Robert Burns, Elizabeth Gaskell, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Nathaniel Philbrick, Christopher Hibbert, Charles Todd, David Starkey, Margaret George, Alison Weir, Rosalind Miles, Susan Kay, Thomas Cahill, Francine Rivers, Tracie Peterson, Francis Chan, Tosca Lee, John Stott, Kay Arthur, N. T. Wright, Neil R. Lightfoot, Robert A. Peterson, Liz Curtis Higgs, Bodie and Brock Thoene, Leland Ryken, A. W. Tozer, R. A. Torrey, C. H. Spurgeon, Oswald Sanders, J. I. Packer.

"How do you organize your books (be genre, title, author's name, etc.)?"
Nearly all the above. I organize in 1 large book shelf all Christian non-fiction by author and by genre, and subject.
I keep a few Christian fiction books on the bottom shelf organized by author. 
My 2nd book shelf is secular. It is also organized by genre, subject and author. 
When I am looking for a book on World War II I know it is on the 3rd shelf of the secular book shelf and then it will be organized by author's last name.
I do NOT like to be able to find something, drives me crazy!

If you decide to participate in this meme on Reading Habits please link back to my blog post!
Thank you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography