Book Blogger Hop, July 13-19, 2012

Book Blogger Hop

This weeks question courtesy of Crazy-For-Books.

"How long does it take you to read a book?"

It depends on whether the book is non-fiction or fiction.
If the book is a Christian non-fiction book it may take a week or more (only because I read several books at one time.) I want to make sure I have an understanding of the book, as well as the correct facts before I write a review. Theology, textual criticism, Bible history, commentaries, etc. These are weighty subjects and I read at a slower pace.
A biography, memoir, will also take a bit longer to read, but not as long as Christian non-fiction.
Christian fiction will take 1 to 2 days for me to read.
A Mystery book 2 days to read.
A Classic literature book may also take several days to read. Word usage in a classic literature book is advanced, dialects are often used, and symbolism explored.
Whatever book I am reading the goal is 100 pages a day.
I have been reviewing books for over 5 years, at this point, I do not just read words in a book, I dissect the story. I find mis-spelled words, study the grammar, explore the symbolism. I study the prologue, foreword, introduction, closing remarks. I read a book cover to cover trying to not miss a dot. This is not a weary task for me, it is a joy! I love it!

Comments

  1. You have a beautiful blog :)

    There are so many variables. How long is it? How GOOD is it? What else is going on in my life..etc, etc!

    http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading books is such fun! I like to take my time with a book. Of course, with some books I read a little faster because I'm enjoying them so much. I always read books that I really love at least twice.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and I am now following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely hahaha!!! love it
    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good idea- having a set reading goal- especially for book that are for review. It does take a bit longer to go in depth. Classics also take me longer, even if I am enjoying them, because I always have to think about the language because it has changed depending on how much time has passed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment