October Question From The Classics Club

For the month of October The Classics Club meme is 
"Why are you reading the classics?"

I am a lover of quotes and while I'm expressing my answer to this question of "why am I reading the classics?" I'll add-in a few of my favorite quotes on this subject.

"A classic is a classic not because it conforms to certain structural rules, or fits certain definitions "of which its author had quite probably never heard). It is a classic because of a certain eternal and irrepressible freshness."
Edith Wharton

I read the classics because they've stood the test of time. Their stories have resonated through the years with readers who have loved and cherished them. I want to read for myself why so many others have loved these books and have called them classics. 

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
James Bryce

I read the classics because I want to learn of other people and cultures and travel to other lands and time periods. I want to know how people thought, expressed themselves, lived out their lives after being given impossible circumstances. I want to step into their shoes for a brief time and smell what they smelled and see what they saw and feel what they felt. As a result I have greater empathy for, and am able to live outside of "the box" so to speak of my life.  

"We do not write because we want to, we write because we have to."
W. Somerset Maugham

I read the classics because I have to. I read because I have to. I'm in lust, in love, with the printed word. 

"I have never found any distress that an hours reading did not relieve."
Baron de Montesquieu

I read the classics because they are a source of relaxation for me. They are a source of education for me. They are a source of food for my brain. 

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your inspiration with others."
Robert Louis Stevenson

I read the classics because they inspire me to read more of them, and they inspire me to talk about them with other kindred readers. 

"When I'm near the end of a book, I need to sleep in the same room with it."
Joan Didion

I read the classics simply because I love them!   
 
  

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be wonderful having so many quotes at your fingertips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the quotes have done everything.. Nice pick, love your answers :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment