Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I prefer to read the book, before the movie comes out. The movie The Hobbit premiers 14 December 2012. There is a blog and website aptly titled:
The Hobbit. 
and
The Hobbit.


The Hobbit is considered children's literature, but aren't we all children at heart!
book cover
My copy, a 75th Anniversary Edition.




Cover has stylized drawings of mountain peaks with snow on the tops and trees at the bottom.
Copy of First Edition Published.
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit. He is happy in his respectable, predictable, habitual, life. When Gandalf a wizard comes to visit Bilbo along with several dwarves. They encourage Bilbo to make haste with them in a plan to take back gold from a dragon, Bilbo is more than reluctant. While acting as the hospitable host for his unexpected guests, Bilbo grows temporary bravery. On the morning they are to leave, Bilbo dawdles, his fortitude for adventure has expired along with his sleep. Gandalf hurries Bilbo along. Bilbo leaves his happy little home unprepared--- without even his walking stick. Bilbo's adventure to Lonely Mountain will be life-changing.

This is the first time for me to read The Hobbit. Although I've seen The Lord of the Rings movies, I've not read the books. As a child I was not introduced to Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. No particular reason. My parents probably were not aware of them. No teacher or friend introduced me to them. I have the book
The Fellowship of the Ring in my stack of books to be read. It could be January before I'm able to begin this one. 

Yes, I loved The Hobbit!

Characters:
Bilbo has an innocent, naive, child-like demeanor. He is very easy to like. He also has a cheerful positive personality. It is difficult to find anything to not like about him except he dawdles and procrastinates, but only because he is reluctant and afraid.
Gandalf is a wizard, he is also a father type figure. He is wise, understanding, stoic, brave, and protective. Gandalf with a twinkle in his eye has a playful mischievous quality.
Thorin Oakenshield is the son of the king under the mountain. He is a dwarf, and leader of the group of dwarves that want to take back the gold from the dragon Smaug. He is fearless, brave, haughty.
Other dwarves with names that sound similar: Gloin, Oin, Ori, Nori, Dwalin, Bifur, Bofur, Fili, Kili, Dori, Balin, and Bombur.
In addition there are goblins, the eagles, trolls, wargs, elves, and Gollum. Remember Gollum from The Lord of the Ring movies, the large blued-eyed slinky-slimy creature who often said, "my precious"?
Smaug, the dragon who lives in Lonely Mountain. 

The characters must have courage and maturity. Those who do not must develop them or risk loosing their life.

The setting is unusual and mysterious, whether they are in the village Bilbo lives in, or in the forest, or in the mountain. I did not know what to expect in this atmosphere of fantasy.

First Edition by Mariner or Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012
Originally Published 1937
320 Pages
Labels: Prelude to The Lord of the Rings, Early 20th Century, British Literature, Classic Fiction Books, Back To The Classics Challenge, Classic Literature, The Classics Club, Fantasy Fiction, Children's Literature.
Link @ publisher:
http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/bookdetails?isbn=9780547928227&srch=true

I bought my copy at Target @ 20% off.

J.R.R. Tolkien
 J.R.R. Tolkien

The reviewing of this book concludes my commitment to Back To The Classics Challenge hosted by
Sarah Reads to Much.
Thank you Sarah!



Comments

  1. Congrats on finishing my Back to the Classics Challenge!!

    I also recently read this for the first time. I ended up loving it as well, though I'll admit that it took me a little bit to get to that point. Someday I'll get to The Lord of the Rings books! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have three chapters left of The Hobbit, and I watched the trailer on your blog. Now I am really excited about watching it. But first I am going to read it aloud to my children so we can watch the movie together. Thanks for sharing the trailer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography