Review: A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830 by T.C. Smout

History of the Scottish People, 1560-1830
Title: A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830
Author: T.C. Smout
Publisher: Fontana Press, An Imprint of Harper Collins March 2, 1998 (first published in 1969)
Genre: Non-Fiction
Labels: Scottish History, Scotland, 16th-17th-18th Century
Format: Paperback
Age: Adult
Pages: 540
Rating: 4 Stars
I bought my copy of this book at Waverly Train Station Edinburgh, Scotland in October 2001. This means I've had it in my TBR pile a very long time.
I've had a strong interest in Scottish history a long time. Recently I found out I have Scottish ancestry in my lineage. I'm connected to the Ros and Duncan families. This new information about my ancestry gave a brighter reason to read A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830. 

Summary:
I'm aware that English history seems to trump the histories of Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. It seems there are more books available on the royal families, Norman or Anglo-Saxon period, Tudor period, War of the Roses, and Richard III (especially since his recent archeology discovery). I can understand this, I too love to read these types of books.
Scottish, Irish, and Welsh history is independent of and yet connected to English history. This makes them unique.
Recently I read two books on Welsh history, I was given a Welshman's viewpoint, research, and voice, through author Terry Breverton.
 A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830 was written by T.C. Smout, he was a university professor at University of Edinburgh and at St Andrews University. According to Wikipedia he is described as a Scottish academic, historian, author, and historiographer royal.
This book is described as a social history from the Reformation to 1830 and the Great Reform Act; included is the political history, and cultural history of this period.

My Thoughts:
I felt this was a great book to learn about Scotland's history.
I felt the author wrote a non-fiction piece that I did not consider to be dry as toast, but gave me interesting information.
For example I was given detailed labor/work force information regarding men, women, and children during the 1700's and 1800's. What types of jobs there were, earnings, hours worked, and difficulties such as injuries.
Other topics included in book:
  • How the middle class began.
  • Highlander's versus Lowlander's.
  • Diseases such as Smallpox, Tuberculosis, Typhus, Malaria, the Plague.
  • Education for children.
  • Industrial Revolution, both its beginnings, and positive and negative affects.
  • The Kirk, or Church.
  • Geography.
  • Earliest inhabitants and invaders.   
I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn more about Scotland, it is a over-all sound book.

Not available except through other sources, used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0006860273?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0006860273&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography