Book Blogger Hop! June 21-27, 2013


This weeks question courtesy of Elizabeth:
"When you are writing your reviews, do you write them as you are reading or wait until you are completely done with the book?"
I have never written a review without first reading the book.
A few of my readers know that I take notes as I read. I have a spiral journals that I take notes in. I note quotes I liked or that were meaningful. I write down my impressions of characters, plot, symbolism, etc. I write what I like or dislike about certain aspects of the book, I write down words I don't know the meaning of. Taking notes helps me when I'm ready to type up the review.
I do prepare a post with links, photo of book, information on the author, etc.
I do schedule posts to be published at a later date, but not always.
I do take care to be tactful and polite when writing a review on a book I disliked....always hoping the author will accept what I've said graciously.
Some reviews are easier to type than others.
Reviewing books is a learning process. I make mistakes, but try and learn from them. I study other review blogs, read books on reviewing, read study and correct my grammar, and question my goals and intentions. 

Comments

  1. Hello! New follower here :) Your answer is alot more indepth than mine but I love it. I can't wait to see more posts!

    Katelynn
    Literary Chameleon
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sort of sounds like you write while you are reading and what I do as well.

    Stop by for my full answer if you like.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to take notes, but if it's really good I tend to get so wrapped up in the story I forget. On the other hand, if I take a lot of notes that tends to mean I didn't like it :( New GFC follower.

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Annette!

    This is a very informative answer! You make some very good points, too. I think I'm going to start taking notes myself. Another blogger, Vonnie @ Vonnie's Reading Corner, also gave me this suggestion.

    It's great that you are such a perfectionist regarding your reviews! I applaud and totally agree with your approach! Book reviews are a serious business indeed. It's a matter of one's own professional pride as a blogger.

    Thanks for your great answer!! Thanks as well for commenting on my BBH post!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography