Review: Wesley the Owl, The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien

Title: Wesley the Owl, the Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl
Author: Stacey O'Brien
Publisher: Free Press, Simon and Schuster August 2008
Genre: Non-Fiction
Labels: Memoir, Owls, Biology, California
Format: Paperback
Age: Adult, or young adult
Pages: 256
Rating: 5 Stars

Website Link:
Wesley the Barn Owl



This book has been in my TBR pile since 2009! Shame on me for waiting so long to read it. This book is awesome, I loved reading it. I've also enjoyed sharing some of the stories I'd read, with my family.

Summary:
In 1985 a young woman named Stacey O'Brien was working at Caltech as a biologist. Her job was with a group of scientists doing an in-depth study of barn owls. Her boss asked her if she'd adopt a baby owl because it was a mere four days old and had an injured wing. For Stacey it was love at first sight.
Stacy had no idea how long her adopted barn owl would live. Scientists knew how long barn owls lived in the wild, but an owl living in a protected home environment no one knew an answer as to its longevity.
She guessed accurately at its sex, and named him Wesley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Owlets.jpg
My thoughts:
Wow! From page one I began learning about barn owls through a personal story, never was there a dull moment of letting me wander from the page.
  • I was fascinated by the education I received on barn owls.
  • I was fascinated by the parentage of Stacey for Wesley. 
  • I was fascinated by the depth of bonding and love between both of them. 
I thought when I began reading this story that I knew a little about barn owls, I was so wrong.
A few things I learned:
  • Barn owls are not guided by instinct alone, they have emotions. 
  • Barn owls are sensitive, they can even become embarrassed.
  • They mate for life, and can grieve themselves to death when their mate dies.
  • Their saliva is acidic, allowing them to digest easily. 
  • Owls do not need water, all the fluid they need comes from mice.
I rated this book 5 stars, because it is an amazing miraculous story that I will never forget! 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tyto_alba_-British_Wildlife_Centre,_Surrey,_England-8a_%281%29.jpg
Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Wesley-Owl-Remarkable-Love-Story/dp/1416551778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370965530&sr=8-1&keywords=Wesley+the+Owl
Paperback $11.92
Kindle $9.73

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography