Review: Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss

Title: Eats, Shoots and Leaves, The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Author: Lynne Truss
Publisher: Gotham Books 2004
Genre: Non-fiction
Theme: Punctuation
Format: Hardcover
Age: Adult
Pages: 209
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: I won this book several years ago by answering a random question on a blog. I've had this book such a long time I don't remember who I won it from.

Summary:
With a dry wit author Lynne Truss teaches correct punctuation. She's called herself a stickler for correct punctuation. She's shocked at a world where people do not care about punctuation or they're afraid of it. Truss teaches: apostrophes, commas, colons, semi-colons, questions marks, exclamation marks, italics and hyphens.

My Thoughts:
I read this book in one day. Lynne Truss makes punctuation fun. She's light-hearted and witty in expressing her views on bad grammar. This is a beginning book on this subject. I do not feel it is an end-all book on punctuation. It gave me a solid starting point. I was glad Truss brought out the differences between British and American punctuation.
I feel more confident in every area she covered except apostrophes. After reading this book and discovering I've made many mistakes with apostrophes, I'm trying to pay more attention to sentence structure. I feel this was the problem behind the problem of mistakes with apostrophes, I did not understand sentence structure.
I've ordered several books from Amazon on grammar and editing. I plan to read them this summer.
Merriam-Webster's Guide to Punctuation and Style
Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies
The Copyeditors Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications
The New Well-Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed

Lynne Truss site:
http://www.lynnetruss.com/
Story behind the story of Eats, Shoots & Leaves:  http://www.lynnetruss.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=8

Kindle edition @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Punctuation-ebook/dp/B000OIZSVY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
$10.67

Comments

  1. I enjoyed very much that book too. at the same time I read also The Great Typo Hunt [http://wordsandpeace.com/2010/11/03/the-great-typo-hunt/] and The Glamour of Grammar [http://wordsandpeace.com/2010/10/19/the-glamour-of-grammar/]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is, when I saw the title of this book in your review, I thought it was going to be a food-related nonfiction (one of my fave genres!). How wrong I was! Haha...however, I think I would still get a kick out of it, based on your review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment