[Review] The Mountains Between by Julie McGowan

Title: The Mountains Between
Author: Julie McGowan
Publisher: Second publication November 2012 by Sunpenny
Genre: Fiction
Theme: Jennie and Harry grow up living on opposite sides of a mountain in Wales.
Format: pdf
Age: Adult
Pages: 905KB, 398 pages
Rating: 4 1/2 Stars
Source: pdf given to me for free by Sunpenny for purpose of review.

Summary:
Time span of story 1929-1949. 
On one side of the Blorenge mountain lives the Davies family. Jennie Davies is the youngest child of a faithful dairy farmer. She has a brother and two sisters. Their mother Katharine is a harsh and bitter woman. Katharine wears a pious mask, but beneath she has a heart of lust. Katharine uses Jennie as a scapegoat, all her anger and frustration is aimed at Jennie. The Davies live near the town of Abergavenny
Harry Jenkins lives on the other side of the mountain with his family in the mining town of Blaenavon. They are a close-nit mining family. His mother is a woman of noble character. Harry has two brothers and a sister. Early in the story an accident affects the heart of the family.
The Mountains Between divides it time between the two main characters, Jennie and Harry. From youth and the depression years, through coming of age during World War II, to their quest for independence and a desire for love.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed reading this story.
I love stories where the setting is in Wales. I love the Welsh people, history, language and geography.
I felt that at some point in the story these two characters would meet. How they would meet, and where the story would take them in their lives between 1929 and 1949, I did not know.
Jennie's mother Katharine was an abusive, controlling, selfish person. I wondered how this would affect Jennie's life choices. I've known women who grew up in an abusive home and made horrid choices for a mate.
I wondered how the tragedy from Harry's youth would affect him.
I felt the author wrote of her beloved Wales in vivid description, it was easy for me to picture the scenes in my mind. 
The Mountains Between gave me a better understanding of the Welsh people during the depression and World War II years. My own father was stationed in Tenby, Wales before the D-day invasion. He has wonderful memories of being there.
Blorenge Mountains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:View_from_Blorenge.jpg
Town of Abergavenny in 1890s/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abergavenny_and_Holy_Mountain,_Wales,_1890-1900.jpg
Town of Blaenavon/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Big_Pit_Mining_Museum.jpg
Julie McGowan: http://juliemcgowan.com/

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountains-Between-ebook/dp/B00AWPX0TQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374513676&sr=8-2&keywords=the+mountains+between+by+Julie+McGowan
Paperback $15.00
Kindle $4.79

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos and great post.

    I have visited Scotland, but not Wales.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography