[Review] Survivors, True Stories of Children in the Holocaust by Allan Zullor and Mara Bovsun

Title: Survivors, True Stories of Children in the Holocaust
Author: Allan Zullo and Mara Bovsun
Publisher: Scholastic 2004
Genre: Non-fiction
Theme: Survivors of Holocaust
Format: Paperback
Age: Age 8 and up. ***I disagree with the age. I have a 9 year old granddaughter that is not ready for this book. I believe 10 would be a better age, a mature 10. An adult nearby that is willing to talk about the book with child would be beneficial.
Pages: 208
Source: Self-purchase
Rating: 5 Stars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg 
Summary:
Survivors, True Stories of Children in the Holocaust, are the stories of eight children who survived the Holocaust. Their names are: Luncia Gamzer from Poland, Herbert Karliner from Germany, Markus Reich from Poland, George Levy from Germany, Walter Ziffer from Poland, Sarah Engelberg from Poland, Mathei Jackel from Romania, Jack Gruener from Poland.

My Thoughts:
Whenever I write a review on a Holocaust story I refuse to express the words, "I loved this story," because I feel that would be inappropriate. I've read a lengthy list of books on the Holocaust, but not a book that tells children's survival stories only. I've read single stories of survival, but not a compilation of several. For me it is always emotional to read a book on the Holocaust. Children are precious, they are a heritage, they are a blessing. To destroy a life, a child's life, is beyond comprehension. I am at a loss for further words.
I feel this is a strong book to educate an older child about the horrors of the Holocaust. Each story is told by an adult who survived, but they reflect on how they felt as children. I was glad the authors shared what happened to the children after World War II, where they spent the rest of their lives, and further how they became involved in sharing their stories of survival.

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum:
http://www.ushmm.org/

The Hidden Child Foundation:
http://archive.adl.org/hidden/start.asp

Missing Identity:
http://www.missing-identity.net/

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Survivors-True-Stories-Children-Holocaust/dp/0439669960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375101697&sr=8-1&keywords=0439669960
Paperback $4.08
Not available on Kindle

Comments

  1. I almost feel guilty saying that I "enjoy" reading about the Holocaust or that I "love" the subject; it is a haunting part of history that deserves attention and respect; it can be fascinating and horrifying all the same. Have you read The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book several years ago and thought it was very powerful and well worth reading. I think it's a good introductory book to the Holocaust, but you're right, not every child in that age range is ready for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography