[Review] The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Title: The American Heiress
Author: Daisy Goodwin
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; Reprint edition (March 27, 2012)
Genre: Fiction
Theme: Wealthy American woman travels to England.
Format: Paperback
Age: Adult
Pages: 496
Rating: 3 Stars
Source: Self-purchase

Summary:
Time Period 1893, Newport, Rhode Island. 
Cora Cash is the only child of wealthy parents. Cora is a celebrity in America and the next best thing to an American version of royalty. Cora's ambitious mother has plans to take her to England with hopes of securing a marriage with a title. Cora's dream declined her proposal, and she leaves the shores of America duty bound to her mother's agenda. Cora's maid, Bertha, is a bit out of sorts because she's leaving her ill mother. Bertha's job and place is with her employer, but she can't help but feel responsible for her mother's care. Both women are bound to their "set" life. The society and culture Cora finds in England does not idolize her as she's used to. The English aristocracy is a stoic group, Cora's puzzled as to how to act or react. Cora meets Ivo. A man with a title; but no money. Cora is a women without a title; but plenty of money. Will these two individuals be complimentary to each other?

My Thoughts:
I wanted to like this book better than I did. I did not dislike it, but was not crazy about it. I definitely did not like the ending. 
Every character in the book, even Bertha, has an opaque personality. All of them hide behind a mask. While reading this story I envisioned them with no facial expressions, or at least very few. Characters with poker faces. Because of this cloudy muddy facade, I had a hard time becoming involved with the story. I too held back just as the characters did.
I was able to peer into the world of pedigree, title, money. This is not a world I live in, nor my ancestor's lived in. My ancestor's were working people, they would have been behind the scenes of the estates cooking and cleaning.
I did not like the ending. For me it was not a full resolve, only a band-aid.

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-American-Heiress-A-Novel/dp/0312658664/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_pap?ie=UTF8&qid=1375307630&sr=8-1&keywords=The+American+Heiress
Paperback $10.98
Kindle $7.99

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography