[Review] Parisians, An Adventure History of Paris by Graham Robb

Title: Parisians, An Adventure History of Paris
Author: Graham Robb
Publisher: W. W. Norton and Company reprint 2011
Genre: Non-fiction
Theme: Short story biographies of people who experienced Paris.
Format: Paperback
Age: Adult
Pages: 476
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Self-purchase
Summary:
Twenty short story biographies of people known to us and some not known, all sharing a brief time of their experience in Paris.  The biographies are from the 1700s to current time.
  • One story is a young poet who lived in the Latin Quarter of Paris in the mid 1800s. He falls easily for one woman after another. He meets Lucile, a flower girl and prostitute. She's a con and in a way so is he. For a while she is his muse.
  • My favorite story was of Charles Axel Guillaumot, an architect in 1774. His work was vast and important for Paris, yet few have heard of him.
My Thoughts:
I love reading books about Paris. Someday....hoping to experience Paris myself.
I felt this book gave a full image of Paris that I would not have known. Stories of famous people; some not so famous. One story was of a young man before he became, "larger than in life."
Reading this book was similar to touring the city, I toured through the eyes of people who were there and who gave me their impressions and feelings.
Personally, I would have loved to read more stories about women. From common working women, to aristocracy.

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Parisians-An-Adventure-History-Paris/dp/0393339734/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1375306868&sr=1-1
Paperback $16.98
Kindle $14.99

Comments