Favorite Fiction Books of 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old_book_bindings.jpg
I read a total of fifty-six fiction books. I gave most of them favorable reviews from three to five stars, one book was a dud and was not reviewed.
The following fiction books stand out to me as memorable books read, they may not have gotten a five star review, but the stories and characters have taken up residence in my mind.
The Odyssey by Homer
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

The Black House by Peter May
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Murder As A Fine Art by David Morrell
Redemption on the River by Loren DeShon
Charlotte's Case by Valerie Walland
The Midwife's Tale by Sam Thomas
Lady of Ashes by Christine Trent
Spartacus: Rebellion Book Two by Ben Kane
The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
Beowulf

I read all the "Station" series by David Downing, loved some more than others, all are memorable. 
Zoo Station
Silesian Station
Stettin Station
Potsdam Station
Lehrter Station
Masaryk Station

There were two books (epic poems) in particular that must be mentioned as being surprise hits for me: The Odyssey and Beowulf. In high school Beowulf was a horrible experience. I would have rather visited the dentist than read Beowulf. As an adult with a bit more maturity, I attempted it again, horror of horrors......I really loved these stories. Gasp! What does it mean? When I began reading The Odyssey I wondered if I'd lost my mind, but I think I've fallen in love with epic poems. Heavy sigh.

Comments

  1. I have a few of the Station books on my shelf and need to get around to reading them. I've been wanting to read The English Patient as well. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment