Tuesday, January 14, 2014

[Review] Morte d'Arthur by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Morte d'Arthur is a poem in The Best Poems of the English Language From Chaucer to Frost Selected and with commentary by Harold Bloom.

Poem available in its entirety at The Poetry Foundation.
And The Literature Network.  
And at Bartleby. I don't care for the advertisements at this link. 
And Poem Hunter. 

Written by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)

"Idylls of the King, was published between 1859 and 1885. It is a collection of twelve narrative poems," telling the story of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Morte d'Arthur is the last poem. On audio I'm listening to all of the Idylls of the King, and will review all of it in a later post. When I review Idylls of the King, I will not count it twice as it holds this story and don't think it would be fair to count it a second time. 
Above quote from Wikipedia.

Morte d'Arthur is a beautiful poem; it is nostalgic, haunting, magical; it is the end of a romantic and chivalrous era of King Arthur and his knights at the Round Table. It speaks of Arthur's love for Excalibur and his "noble" knights. It speaks of the goodness of Arthur; both a man of flesh and bone, and a king of valor and faithfulness.

I love, love, love, this poem.
I believe poems "speak" to us at different ages, maturity. This poem reminded me of my past, present, and future home. There is a time and a place where everyone, including me, will have an ending in this life, and we will be swept away to the next life. The person we were, will be lamented over; but the life we lived will be remembered.

My favorite quote:
"The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
And God fulfils Himself in many ways,
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.
Comfort thyself: what comfort is in me?
I have lived my life, and that which I have done
May He within Himself make pure! but thou,
If thou shouldst never see my face again,
Pray for my soul. More things are wrought by prayer
Than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice
Rise like a fountain for me night and day."

This is the first selection for the reading challenge: Arthurian Lit Reading Challenge 2014.




1 comment:

  1. I've not read much Tennyson, but I've loved what I've read so far. Going to read this very soon, I love that quote you've shared :)

    ReplyDelete