Thursday, February 20, 2014

[Review] An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor

Title: An Irish Country Doctor
Author: Patrick Taylor
Publisher: Forge Books, A Tom Doherty Associates Book first edition 2007
Holtzbrinck Publishing Group is the owner of the imprint 
Genre: Fiction, Ireland, Irish Country Physician,
Format: Paperback
Pages: 351
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Self-purchase

I have an old stack of TBR books which I'm trying to either read or sort through for donation.
An Irish Country Doctor was purchased by me "several" years ago, and I'm sad to say it has taken me too long to read it. 

Summary:
Doctor Barry Laverty, age twenty-four, is a recent medical school graduate. When the book begins he is driving to where he will begin an apprenticeship with Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly. The village of Ballybucklebo will be Doctor Laverty's new residence for further training.
Doctor Laverty and Doctor O'Reilly, are a compatible pair. Doctor Laverty respects Doctor O'Reilly, and he is impressed with his keen wisdom, and the respect and trust he has earned from the rural people.

My Thoughts:
I needed a break from reading serious non-fiction books, An Irish Country Doctor is a perfect story for a weary mind. 
I loved Doctor Laverty's humility in learning medical practice from Doctor O'Reilly; but I loved it more that he learned how to deal with the idiosyncrasies of people. Patients came to see the doctor for physical healing, but also for emotional healing. Doctor Laverty is a person of character, he did not let ego get in the way with the ability to learn.
I loved the rural village setting of Ballybucklebo (including the name).
The story begins in 1964. This is the beginning of the Beatle's invasion of America, before America's involvement in Vietnam, previous to the start of the radical and defiant nature of the 1960s. An Irish Country Doctor is a period of time holding a bit of innocence and nostalgia.


No comments:

Post a Comment