Armchair BEA, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, Expanding Blogging Horizons

"What do you think about when you think about going beyond blogging or expanding your horizons? Is it a redesign of your blog? Have you branched out into freelance writing or even published a novel of your very own? Or, have you moved into a different venue like podcasts or vlogging? This is the day to tell us about how you have expanded on blogging in your own unique way."  

Vlogging is not for me to do nor to watch. I'm a verbal learner, preferring to read what I ingest into my brain and spirit. 
I feel that most people (depending on the generation) who read book reviews do not read every word, they skim, looking for specific information. We live in an quick instant society that does not take time to read books, and this saddens me. When I'm in a restaurant people have stopped face to face interaction, not taking the time for a "real" conversation, and instead are playing games, or texting on their cell phones. They want a short amount of information and they want it fast...with a few laughs. 
I may explore writing a brief review, followed by a longer review (as I usually do). 

In the beginning years of blogging, my readership was from Blogger. When I linked my two blogs to Twitter, Facebook, Google, this is when a larger crowd of readership grew. All together close to 1,800 followers, and an average 8000 hits per month (both blogs combined). I receive more comments at Facebook and Twitter than on blog posts. Social media has expanded the ability for book reviewers to spread the love of reading. Pinterest is new for me, I recently began posting reviews there. I joined Booklikes in early May. Instagram, have not had time to look at this avenue. 

On Facebook family and friends, people I went to school with, ask my advice about books. I feel uplifted and apart of something special, spreading my limited knowledge about books. 

I update my two blogs often, moving things around, sprucing up, I call it cleaning house. I love it, helps my creative streak. Sometimes I wonder if I should move back to Wordpress, but not today, maybe later. 

I took a creative writing course last summer and was told I had talent. I'd written a short fictional story. I will never write if I don't cut way back on book reviewing, which is difficult, because I love it so much. But, I'm not getting any younger. 

My focus at this point is to read and study historical periods, in specific Anglo-Saxon through Tudor age. I also want to read and study the Reformation movement. Possibly reading up on the history of Catholicism. I'm also interested in reading about the Crusades. My goal is when I read a book, because I've studied its history, I'll know what other experienced teachers and students of history have taught, and that the information may not be correct in the book. The way to recognize counterfeit is to study the real thing. 
I guess someone reading what I just typed may think I'm looking for errors and enjoy pointing them out. Gosh no, I'd rather go back to my little corner of blogosphere. But, if books are written and the general public does not know any better then they will be taken advantage of. Also, I have a strong strong love/desire for learning and self-education. 
"The mind is a terrible thing to waste." 
 photo Mon11.jpg


Comments

  1. Wow, you are definitely on a lot more social media than I am! But I'm pretty new to blogging and at this point I'm just trying to keep up with consistent content and use a twitter a bit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on moving the blogs around, sprucing them up, it does engage the creative spirit. Happy reading in your chosen historical eras!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a little upset about the change in the way people interact. I write long reviews, and do so knowing that someone's less likely to read it due to that, but I just can't NOT do it, you know? Good books are something that bring out good emotion in everyone, and something someone has put their heart and soul into. I'd hate to dedicate everything I have to a work and then have people post only one-sentence reviews. Good. Bad. Eh. Granted, some will do that anyway, but if EVERYONE did it, it would be hurtful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography