[Review] Women Wartime Spies by Ann Kramer

Title: Women Wartime Spies
Author: Ann Kramer
Publisher: MJF Books 2011
Genre: Non-fiction, World War II, Holocaust, Nazi Germany, Nazi Party, Allied, S.O.E.
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 171
Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Self-purchase

I purchased the book in April at Barnes and Nobles for $6.98.
Amazon hardcover is priced at $6.00. Link @ Women Wartime Spies. 

In July of 2013 I reviewed: Flames in the Field The Story of Four S.O.E. Agents in Occupied France by Rita Kramer. I wonder if the two authors are related? Rita Kramer and Ann Kramer.
Mata-Hari, accused of being a spy during World War I. 
Summary:
The first two chapters of the book is a short historical record of women who were spies previous to World War II, this includes World War I, and the American Civil War; in addition, there is a brief story of a woman spy during the mid 1600s-Aphra Behn.
Women Wartime Spies, seeks to give "recognition" to all women who were involved in the allied war effort during World War II.
Ann Kramer explains, there are "two stereo-types of spies" those women who are labeled as a Mata-Hari sex kitten, or a "virtuous" self-sacrificing woman.
For many of the women who served in the S.O.E. (Special Operations Executive) during World War II, they continued to remain silent throughout their life about their work as a spy. Their families were not aware of their history.
Women Wartime Spies, is not a lengthy expose, but it is a fascinating study of women who were willing to sacrifice their life for the sake of freedom and peace.
Squadron Officer, WAAF, Vera Atkins, SOE, F Section, Intelligence Officer. 
Noor Inayat Khan, WAAF, SOE .
My Thoughts:
Books on World War II, including Holocaust memoirs, are at the top of my reading list. I'm always on the look-out for books on this subject.
Two big reasons why I'm drawn to these books:
1. My dad was in World War II and fought on Omaha Beach, D-Day, 6th of June, 1944.
2. I love stories of courageous people who against the odds defy evil.

There are several reasons why I gave this book 5 stars.
1. Women Wartime Spies, showed me the historical progression of women spying; and how society has either distorted their image, or ignored them.
2. A short history of MI5, MI6, and MI9.
3. Women who worked in the "backroom". These were the women who intercepted mail, translated, and broke the codes.
4. The role of Bletchley Park.
5. After the war was over, Vera Atkins, who had been the F Section Squadron Officer, worked tirelessly to find out what happened to the missing S.O.E. agents. This part of the book was not new to me as I'd read about her work in Flames in the Field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Station_X_bletchleypark.jpg

Comments

  1. You always introduce me to such great-sounding WWII non-fiction!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment