Review: The Lewis Man, The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May

Publisher: Quercus/Hachette Book Group, September 2, 2014.
A reprint edition.
Genre: Fiction, murder mystery. The Lewis trilogy of detective Fin Macleod.
Format: Hardcover.
Page: 368.
Rating: 5 Stars.
Source: Free copy from Hachette Book Group in exchange for a review. All reviews expressed are from my own opinion.

Book is available @
Queurcus
Amazon

The first book in the trilogy is The Blackhouse. My review of The Blackhouse.
The Lewis Man is the second book.
The third book is The Chessman, available in February 2015.
A hardcover edition showcasing photography of the Hebrides is available through Amazon. 

Summary:
The Outer Hebrides are islands off the northwest coast of Scotland. The Isle of Lewis is where detective Fin Macleod was born and raised. He has moved back to the island after cutting ties with his previous life in Edinburgh, Scotland. A young man's body has been found in the peat bog. The salt from the bog has preserved the body. Macleod becomes involved in the case when DNA shows the preserved body is a relative to Macleod's "childhood sweetheart."

My Thoughts:
I love the setting of The Lewis Trilogy. The Outer Hebrides is an area in the world that is a mystery to me. I do not hear about the area in the news. I do not know anyone from this area. I have not read any other books about this area. In my mind, I picture a windy treeless island, surrounded by a cold north Atlantic. The weather seems to always be chilly. The people are quiet and cloistered. I am drawn to tempestuous settings in a story.
Fin Macleod is a character that shows strengths and weaknesses. He is a person that has experienced deep sadness. His sadness and the memories associated with them, show vulnerability. On the other hand, his years of experience as a detective, show a decisive confidence.
I have great empathy for Fin's "childhood sweetheart". Her father has dementia. I can relate to her role as a daughter that is a caregiver. The theme of dementia and the care-giving associated with this disease, creates sympathy in the character, and sympathy for the family going through the crisis.
The Lewis Man alternates between current time and the 1950s. The two time periods shared two stories giving the background that will be revealed at the end.
I loved this story and cannot wait until the next book in the series is published!

Comments