Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Classics Club: October is Poetry Month

I have always loved poetry. Sadly, I do not read enough poetry. I go through periods of time when I do read poetry, but it is often pushed aside for books.
When I was in middle school I wrote poetry. I  have kept the notebook tucked away in my mahogany chest. I was a romantic youth living in a home with quiet and serious parents. Feeling stifled, I wrote my feelings in a notebook, never revealing them to anyone else.

The poems (some are defined as quotes) I've posted below are my favorites. I have a small notebook kept near my desk that holds these favorite quotes and poems.

Paris Street, Rainy Day. Painted by Gustave Caillebotte, 1877. 
"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." Albert Camus. From Brainy Quote.

"Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day."
Emily Bronte. From the Poetry Foundation.

"October gave a party.
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss weather led the dancing,
Professor wind the band."
George Cooper. From Think Exist. 

"October is a symphony of permanence and change." Bonaro W. Overstreet. From Quotes Wave.

"Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
Sow an act, and you reap a habit.
Sow a habit, and you reap a character;
Sow a character, and you reap a destiny."
Charles Reade. From Think Exist.
This was my mother's favorite poem. I found this poem written in her handwriting among her keep-sake treasures.

"There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October."
Nathaniel Hawthorne. From Think Exist.

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns."
George Eliot. From Brainy Quote.

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away."
George Eliot. From Think Exist.

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night. Good Lord, deliver us!
Scottish saying.
Photograph from my own collection.


1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful poems and you posted some of my favorite art as well. Lovely sun flower.

    ReplyDelete