Monday, December 29, 2014

End of the Year Reflection on Reading, 2014

I love reading challenges. At the beginning of 2014, I began with gusto about completing the challenges. But life happens, and as the year progressed I thought I'd not done well. When I evaluated books read for 2014, I realized I'd done better than I thought.

Total fiction books read---42.
Total non-fiction books read---42.  
No, I did not plan to read an equal amount for both! 
Total books read in 2014---160---the rest of the books were reviewed at A Well-Watered Garden. (Fourteen books read were not reviewed.)

I hosted a British History Reading Challenge for 2014. Thank you to all of the participants that took part in the challenge. 
The list of books I read for this challenge, including links for the reviews:
1. The Kings and Queens of England The Biography by David Loades
2. Doctor Barnardo: Champion of Victorian Children by Martin Levy
3. The Cambridge Companion To Medieval English Culture Edited by Andrew Galloway
4. The Bombers and The Bombed by Richard Overy
5. Edward the Confessor, King of England by Peter Rex
6. Anne Neville Richard III's Tragic Queen by Amy Licence
7. In Bed With The Tudors: The sex lives of a dynasty from Elizabeth of York to Elizabeth 1 by Amy Licence
8. 1066: What Fates Impose by G.K. Holloway
9. Thomas Cromwell Servant to Henry VIII by David Loades
10. Pale Rose of England by Sandra Worth
11. The Girl Who Came Home: A Novel of the Titanic by Hazel Gaynor
12. A Swarming of Bees by Theresa Thomlinson 
13. The Tudors: Lady Jane Grey to Elizabeth I by G J Meyer
14. Edwin: High King of Britain by Edoardo Albert
15. The Annals of London: A Year by Year Record of a Thousand Years of History by John Richardson
16. Blood and Roses: One Family's Struggle and Triumph During the Tumultuous Wars of the Roses by Helen Castor
17. She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth by Helen Castor
18. Everyday Life in Medieval London: From The Anglo-Saxons To The Tudors by Toni Mount
19. Cecily Neville Mother of Kings by Amy Licence
20. Wars of the Roses: Stormbird by Conn Iggulden
21. Jack of Spies by David Downing 
22. Inside the Tudor Court: Henry VIII and his Six Wives through the writings of the Spanish Ambassador, Eustace Chapuys by Lauren Mackay
23. Chaucer's England by Diana Childress
24. 1066: The Year of the Conquest by David Howarth
25. Elizabeth of York: Forgotten Tudor Queen by Amy Licence
26. A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre.
27. The Anglo-Saxons edited by James Campbell, Eric John, and Patrick Wormald
28. An Unwilling Accomplice by Charles Todd
29. Eleanor of Castile: The Shadow Queen by Sara Cockerill
30. The Prodigal Son by Anna Belfrage
31. The Plantagenets by Dan Jones
32. Sinful Folk by Ned Hayes
33. The Six Wives and Many Mistresses of Henry VIII by Amy Licence
34. Edward II: The Unconventional King by Kathryn Warner
35. The Spoils of Avalon by Mary Burns
36. The Wars of the Roses by Dan Jones


The month of January was dedicated to reading Shakespeare. I read Othello, Troilus and Cressida. I have links below of these book reviews, see the lists at The Classics Club and The Shakespeare Reading Challenge. 

European Reading Challenge, my goal was to read 4 books, I read 6. 


The Victorian Reading Challenge. I signed up to read 2 books, I read 2 books. 

The Classics Club. I have read a total of 29 books. This is a 5 year challenge and I began in 2012. In 2014, I read 6 books, totaling 29 books for the challenge thus far. 

Back to the Classics. I read 3 books. 
1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens-19th century classic
2. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll-Optional Category--A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series.
3. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins--A Classic by an author new to  me.

Chunkster Reading Challenge. The challenge does not have a defined goal, just read chunkster books. 
1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, the Norton Classic has 748 pages.  
2. Wars of the Roses: Stormbird by Conn Iggulden, has 496 pages.
3. She-Wolves by Helen Castor, has 496 pages.
4. Pale Rose of England by Sandra Worth, has 468 pages.
5. 1066: What Fates Impose by G. K. Holloway, has 456 pages.
6. The Bombers and the Bombed by Richard Overy, has 593 pages.
7. Citadel: In war-torn France the bravest act is love by Kate Mosse, has 704 pages.
8. Fagin's Boy by Christine E. Pilz, has 624 pages.
9. Dominion by C.G. Sansom, has 640 pages.
10. Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill, has 512 pages.
11. The Kings and Queens of England by David Loades, has 544 pages.
12. The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen, 496 pages. 
13. The Plantagenets by Dan Jones, 560 pages. 
14. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, 544 pages. 

2014 Shakespeare Reading Challenge. My goal was to read 1-4. I read 2 books. 

Arthurian Lit Challenge. My goal was to read 2 and I did. 

War Through The Generations Challenge. I have taken part in this challenge for several years. I was surprised at how well I did in this challenge. I'd not began the year by stating how many I'd read, but completed 11 books. 

Russian Literature Challenge. I did not read any books to complete this challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment