(Review) Christmas Poems, Selected and Edited by John Hollander and J.D. McClatchy

Publisher: Everyman's Library Pocket Poets, Alfred A. Knopf, 1999.
Genre: Christmas poems.
Format: Hardcover.
Pages: 256.
Rating: 4 stars for very good.
Source: Library.

Link @ Amazon. 

I've enjoyed reading this book of Christmas poems at night before bedtime. There are several poems that I knew because of the familiar Christmas songs I sing. There are a few poems that are odd; for example, "A Christmas Card, After The Assassinations." Instead of writing a summary and my thoughts section, I'll share my favorite poems from this little gem.

The first and last stanza of a poem written by John Heath-Stubbs.
The name of the poem is "For The Nativity."

"Shepherds, I sing you, this winter's night
Our Hope new-planted, the womb'd, the buried Seed:
For a strange Star has fallen, to blossom from a tomb,
And infinite Godhead circumscribed, hangs helpless at the breast.

A Love, shepherds, most poor,
And yet most royal, kings,
Begins this winter's night;
But oh, cast forth, and with no proper place,
Out in the cold He lies!"

"Shepherd's Song At Christmas" written by Langston Hughes.

Stanzas three through six.

"Watch out for my flocks,
Do not let them stray.
I am going on a journey
Far, far away.
But what shall I bring
As a present for the child?
What shall I bring to the Manger?

I will bring a lamb,
Gentle, meek, and mild,
A lamb for the Child
In the Manger.

I'm just a shepherd boy,
Very poor I am-
But I know there is
A King in Bethlehem.
What shall I bring
As a present just for Him?
What shall I bring to the Manger?

I will bring my heart
And give my heart to Him.
I will bring my heart
To the Manger."

Lastly, "It Came Upon The Midnight Clear" by Edmund Hamilton Sears. The first stanza.

"It came upon the midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth
To touch their harps of gold:
'Peace on the earth, good will to men,
From heaven's all gracious King.'
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing."




Comments