(Review) The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

Publication Date: June 3, 2008.
Publisher: Random House.
Genre: Spying during the late 1930s before WWII in Poland.
Pages: 266.
Source: Library.
Rating: 3 stars for good.

Summary: Europe is afraid another war is building. The threat is Hitler and the Nazi Party who have taken over Germany. Poland borders Germany in the north. Germany lost territory in Poland after World War I. Poland is well aware they are a target for Germany's Nazi machine.
A French hero from World War I, Colonel Jean-Francois Mercier, becomes a spy. The time period is late 1937. The location is Warsaw, Poland.

My Thoughts:
I'm afraid The Spies of Warsaw is one of those books where many people have loved it, but I did not.
I did like the background of the story. The atmosphere of tension because of the fear of the Nazi Party and threat of war is realistic. The fear of the Jewish people who are being abused, rounded up, and taken away adds to the reality of Europe during this period.
My only problem with the book is the character Mercier. I never became invested in his role. I just did not care.
Mercier was kept busy by his mistress and attending cocktail parties. His lifestyle added to his allure (I guess.)  The parties were a way to extract information and possibly connect with the right people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography