Thursday, May 28, 2015

(Review) Reconnaissance by Anne Higgins

Publication Date: September 26, 2014.
Publisher: Texture Press.
Genre: Poetry.
Pages: 104.
Source: Free copy from Anne Higgins in exchange for a review.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.

Summary:
Anne Higgin's takes the ordinary things in life and creates the extraordinary. The sole of her shoe, an insect's eyes, weeds, and a song played on the radio many years ago. I believe this is what a poet does, takes the ordinary, what we see every day, and creates a movement of words drawing our attention to what becomes remarkable.
Higgin's poems are arranged in six chapters. A chapter on nature, nostalgia, items she sees everyday, the artist Magritte, reconciling, and what lay beneath.
The poems do not rhyme. They are free verse poems. Free to go with the author's thoughts and feelings.  

My Thoughts:
I've read through the book twice. Each time I've read the book I have picked up on hidden gems.
For example: "Be That As It May." May is spring, it is youth and blossoming. The poem begins with "confessing" and moves to being set free from "under twenty years of leaves." This is one of my favorite poems. I'm amazed at how a poem can speak one message of emotion to one reader, and a different message to another reader. In this particular poem, I was reminded of young love and the excitement of sensual awakening.
A second poem that stirred my heart: "Apology Poem."
sorry for all the times it was too late.
I'm sorry for selfish reasons,
for words that got me in trouble,
for words held back.
I can relate. I've often wondered, am I more sorry for the words I've said, or the words unsaid?

Anne Higgins teaches at Mount Saint Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, Md. She is a member of the Daughters of Charity. Her poems have appeared in Commonweal, Yankee, Spirituality and Health, The Centrifugal Eye, and a variety of small magazines. Garrison Keillor has read two of her poems on “The Writers Almanac” – on 10/8/01 and 8/8/10. She is the author of six previous collections of poetry.  Check out an interview with her by Susan Smith Nash.  Author photo by Michael Hoover.

To read other reviews: Create-With-Joy and Peeking Between The Pages. 

Link for the tour: Poetic Book Tours,
and on Facebook. 

Available @ Amazon: Reconnaissance. 
and Barnes and Noble.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being on the Poetic Book Tour for Anne's book. I'm so glad that this resonated with you. I know that she'll be pleased with the 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete