Monday, June 1, 2015

A Poetic Introduction to June

"A Poetic Introduction" is posted early in a new month. The collection is not necessarily poetry, but quotes and other sayings that I've collected over the years.  

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us: what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pike. 

"My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams."
Abram L. Urban

"The vocation for you is the one in which your deep gladness and the world's deepest need meet." Frederick Buechner

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and a lightening bug." Mark Twain

"It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading." Katherine Patterson

"I never want to see anyone, and I never want to go anywhere or do anything. I just want to write." P.G. Wodehouse

"I was a very odd little child, with the shadows of all my books in my head." Charles Dickens

"Without words, without writing and without books, there would be no history; there would be no concept of humanity." Hermann Hesse

"Once writing has become your major vice and greatest pleasure, only death can stop it." Ernest Hemingway

"If you want to write for yourself, get a diary. If you want to write for your friends, get a blog. If you want to write for others...become an author." James Patterson

"If the word has the potency to revive and make us free, it also has the power to blind, imprison, and destroy." Ralph Ellison

"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this notion rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any." Russell Baker

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none." Jules Renard


No comments:

Post a Comment