Thursday, September 24, 2015

(Review) The Girl From Krakow by Alex Rosenberg

Publication Date: September 1, 2015.
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing/Amazon.
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 442.
Source: Free paperback copy from Spark Point Studio in exchange for a review.
Rating: 2 stars for okay.

Spark Point Studio:
Twitter
Pinterest
Facebook

Book is available @
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Entrance to Krakow Ghetto. Wikipedia. 

Summary:
The time period is 1935. The place is Krakow, Poland.
Rita Feuerstahl begins attending classes at the University to become a lawyer. Instead, she meets a medical student and after a quick relationship they marry. A baby is born during the early part of World War II. Rita and her husband are Jewish. Neither are practicing the Jewish faith. Rita is an atheist. The war and Holocaust changes the dynamics of their marriage and lives. Rita changes her identity in order to survive.

My Thoughts:
World War II and Holocaust books are at the top of my favored list in genres. My dad was a Veteran of World War II. I'm sure this is a large reason why I have a strong interest in this period in history. I love reading nonfiction, historical fiction, mystery, suspense, espionage, and a bit of romance from this time period.
The Girl From Krakow's theme is intriguing. A beautiful and intelligent young Jewish woman tries to survive the Holocaust. However, Rita is an icy person. She is not a character that I felt an attachment to, and as a result never felt an investment in the story. I feel her character needed to be vulnerable. Instead, she came across as cold. She is quick to fall in to sexual relationships with people. In the story she has relationships with two men and one woman. Her encounters came across as both a detachment from the war and as a replacement for real intimacy.
I wanted to like this story, but I was indifferent to the main character, Rita. I was also indifferent to the people she became involved with, and as a result I was indifferent to the story itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment