(Review) The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Publication Date: 2010.
Publisher: Washington Square Press
Genre: Fiction, Abandoned children, mystery.
Pages: 549.
Source: Self-purchase.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.

Amazon

Summary:
In 1913, a four year old girl is left abandoned at a shipping dock in Australia. The little girl is brought home to live with the O'Connor family. They name her Nell. At age 21, her father, Hugh O'Connor, shares the circumstances of how she came to live with them. In 1975, Nell travels to England to investigate her true parentage and reason for abandonment. Nell's granddaughter Cassandra has a strong voice in The Forgotten Garden. Cassandra's story will uncover mysteries thought hidden.


My Thoughts:
I loved this story! It has several gems that bring about a treasure of a book.

  • Travel. 
  • Mystery.
  • Romance.
  • Danger.
  • Story-telling inside the main story.
  • A hidden garden.
  • Starting over from the old life.
  • Complex characters.
  • Twists.
  • Engaging plot.
  • Hidden meanings. 
The story travels back and forth through different years: 1900, 1907, 1913, 1914, 1975, 1976, and 2005. Often when time travel takes place in a story I get lost. I did not have a problem with the varying dates of history. 
A main character is Nell, she is shown as dimensional, showing positive and negative aspects of her personality and life choices. Despite my dislike of at least one choice, I really liked her and felt drawn to her story. 
A second main character is Nell's granddaughter Cassandra. She and Nell were close; but the mystery surrounding Nell, and Nell's gift to Cassandra, has been a shock. Cassandra has painful memories from her past; but the journey to her grandmother's past will hold blessings for Cassandra. 
The Forgotten Garden is a well-written and memorable story. This is the second book I've read from Kate Morton. The first story was The House at Riverton. A new book has recently been published, The Lake House. I plan to purchase a copy soon. 

Comments

  1. Reading your review reminds how much I want to read this book, which I have had on my TBR shelf for far too long. Just a few more reading commitments, and then I'll dive in.

    Thanks for reminding me to read this! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment