(Review) Wings Of Fire by Charles Todd

Publication Date: 1998.
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks.
Genre: Mystery, detective.
Pages: 306.
Source: Self-purchase.
Rating: 4 stars for very good.

Summary:
Wings Of Fire is book two in the Charles Todd series about Inspector Ian Rutledge of Scotland Yard. Rutledge is a World War I veteran. The time period is 1919. Rutledge has PTSD.
Wings of Fire begins with the discovery of the dead bodies of brother and sister, Nicholas and Olivia. Their deaths are thought to be a double suicide. A third body is found and thought to be an accidental death. Rutledge is sent to Cornwall to investigate the three deaths.
Olivia is known in the poetry world as O.A. Manning. She was a poet and had written a series of love poems in a book titled Wings of Fire. These poems became popular during World War I.

My Thoughts:
I love the Inspector Ian Rutledge series. I've read the following books in this series.
Book One- A Test of Wills
Book Two- Wings Of Fire
Book Three- Search The Dark
Book Fourteen- The Confession
Book Sixteen- Hunting Shadows
Book Seventeen- A Fine Summer's Day
A Novella, Cold Comfort

I loved the element of "an afflicted poet" who has died under what is thought to be a double suicide.
I loved it that Rutledge loved these poems and they had accompanied him to the battle fields of France.
I loved trying to figure out what Olivia's affliction was.
I love Ian Rutledge's character period. He is strong and resilient; and he is also a wounded warrior struggling to adapt to civilian life and the painful memories of the battle field. He is an endearing character, because he is strong and yet vulnerable. He is a multi-faceted character.

Comments