A Poetic Introduction to November

"O Lord that lends me life,
Lend me a heart replete with thankfulness."
William Shakespeare

"Delicious autumn!
My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
George Eliot

"Now Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods, 
And day by day the dead leaves fall and melt, 
And night by night the monitory blast 
Wails in the key-hold, telling how it pass'd 
O'er empty fields, or upland solitudes, 
Or grim wide wave; and now the power is felt 
Of melancholy, tenderer in its moods 
Than any joy indulgent summer dealt. 
Dear friends, together in the glimmering eve, 
Pensive and glad, with tones that recognize 
The soft invisible dew in each one's eyes, 
It may be, somewhat thus we shall have leave 
To walk with memory,--when distant lies 
Poor Earth, where we were wont to live and grieve"

William Allingham

"The wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand. I think, I too,have known autumn too long."
E.E. Cummings

"Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower."
Albert Camus

"There is a harmony
In Autumn, and a lustre in its sky,
Which through the summer is not hears or seen,
As if it could not be, 
As if it had not been!" 
Percy Bysshe Shelley

"In prayer it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart."
John Bunyan

Brainy Quote
Poem Hunter

Comments

  1. What a lovely introduction to a rather dreary month (depending in which hemisphere you live)!

    BTW, I'm so impressed with all your challenges. I could only hope to be so prolific in my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for leaving a comment Cleopatra. I sign up for challenges, some years I'm better at them than other years. Towards the end of this year, I will update my lists for the challenges.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment