(Review) Only The Stones Survive by Morgan Llywelyn

Publication Date: January 5, 2016.
Publisher: Forge, A Tom Doherty Associates Book.
Genre: Fiction, Irish Myth and Legend, Fantasy.
Pages: 304.
Source: Free copy from Forge in exchange for a review.
Rating: 2 stars for okay.

Link at Forge for more information.

Amazon 

Barnes and Noble










Summary:
A people group named Tuatha De' Danann live a closeted peaceful existence on an island. They worship nature. They are targeted for extermination by the Gaels.
A youth named Joss is a survivor. His goal is to bring the remnant together and escape to survive.
Only The Stones Survive is part Irish history and part legend.
The story has elements of training for war, war, survival, and magic.

My Thoughts:
I loved the premise of the story. I love the front cover. I love the main character Joss. I love the fantasy fiction element. I love Irish history. However, I felt the book fell flat. Two things I felt is needed.
1. I want to "feel" Joss's pain and determination to survive. Instead, he comes across as a stoic fellow.
2. To have a book with an emphasis on preparing for battle and war itself, leaves out an element and even a texture that is less bristly. This element is passionate love. At the end of the story there is a hint of this. War is a passionate endeavor, but add an arousing love element, and this gives the two a balance affect, two fibers intermingling in story. 

Comments