(Review) The Black Country: A Novel of Scotland Yard's Murder Squad Book 2 by Alex Grecian

Publication Date: 2013
Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons
Genre: Murder Mystery, Scotland Yard
Pages: 384
Source: Self purchase
Rating: 2 stars for okay




Amazon


Summary:
Scotland Yard Inspector Walter Day and Sergeant Nevil Hammersmith are sent to investigate the disappearance of a young boy and his parents. The village is a coal mining area in the midlands. The people are private and appear to be afraid of sharing information. At least 100 people become sick. At first, the water is suspected. The surviving members of the missing family are non-compliant, but as the story unravels the story takes on an even odder atmosphere.
The story also reflects on the memories of a character who fought in the American Civil War.

My Thoughts:
I feel over-all the story fell flat. The story became heavy with too many strong elements. This is a difficult review to write, not because I have given this book 2 stars for okay, but because I do not want to give away important facts of the story. Forgive me if I fail.

  • A family in crisis. There is neglect, a breakdown in family dynamics, ignorance, fear, jealousy, and abuse. The result left me breathless and disturbed. This is not a clean mystery that will end well with the solving. 
  • The American Civil War.
  • PTSD. 
  • Vengeance.
  • The environment of the village is spooky. The inhabitants are odd. The ground itself is moving and falling in-the people continue on as if this is normal. 
Sometimes a story can be so busy that it just doesn't work. My mind is constantly soaking in the current element, then another element just as pronounced takes my attention away and I'm left wondering what is going on. Some readers may enjoy this multi-faceted busy story, but I did not. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Book Review: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

An Interview with Terry Breverton Author of The Welsh, The Biography