Thursday, December 15, 2016

(Review) Treason by James Jackson



Publication Date: October 6, 2016
Publisher: Zaffre
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 320
Source: Free copy from Zaffre , Bonnier Pubishing.
Rating: 3 stars for good

Amazon
According to Amazon the hard copy is only available through a third-party seller. The kindle ebook is available for $9.49.

From The Irish Times, a book synopsis.

James Jackson website

I've found few reviews on this book. Amazon has none. Goodreads has two.

Summary:
During the early part of the reign of James I of England, a plot was made against James and his family. Guido Fawkes, an English Catholic, planned a Gunpowder plot. He and several men planned to blow-up the king, his family, and the Protestant rulers. English government spy, Christian Hardy, works to uncover the plot and people involved. A man named Realm, a Spanish agent, is another strong threat.

My Thoughts:
The year is 1604, London.
The name Guido Fawkes is literally pressed from the lips of a prisoner. Fawkes being the name of the plotter against the king. This name is a pseudo name for the plotter.
The spy, Christian Hardy, must find the man behind the Fawkes name, and his accomplices before they achieve their plot.
I love history. I enjoyed reading about this period in English history.
I have never read a book specifically on James I, but aim to in the new year.
The storyline is a plus.
The character Christian Hardy is a plus.
However, I felt the story missed an opportunity to draw me in with suspense. For another reader, they may enjoy this book. For me, it just did not hold my attention as I'd liked.
Christian Hardy is a strong character. He is a character who uses whatever means he can contrive to extract information. I wonder if the book had centered on him, and if his character had been fleshed-out more, and extended with his "interesting"  principles, how the book would fair?
Sir Robert Cecil was chief minister during the early part of the reign of James I. His character is seen more often; whereas, James I seems to be in the background.
I was shown the technique of spying and torture during this period. This element reminded me of a Vincent Price film, macabre.


No comments:

Post a Comment